When it comes to finding the perfect spot for your furry friend, you may not have considered a brick area. Brick is a great surface for dogs because it is durable and easy to clean. Plus, dogs seem to love the texture of bricks!
We asked the professionals at Memphis Masonry Pros to tell us the best way to build a pet patio. Below is their advice.
If you’re looking for a location to create an outdoor dog area, consider using your backyard, a patio area, or even your front yard. If you want to make an area specifically for your dog, create a space that is about 1/3 the size of your backyard.
* bricks (one per foot)
* playing field grass sod
* edging stones
* weed-blocking fabric
* weed-free straw
* masonry sand
* rubber mulch or playground bark mulch
* bricks or stones for a border, edging, and corners
Tools: tarp for soil, shovel, measuring tape, hose with sprayer attachment, circular saw (optional)
Steps: 1. First, you’ll want to measure the area where you want to create your dog zone.
2. Next, using a shovel, excavate the area down to the soil level. Remove any large rocks or roots in the process. If your area is on concrete or another hard surface, you can skip this step.
3. Lay down a layer of weed-blocking fabric.
4. Add a 2-inch layer of weed-free straw.
5. Lay the bricks in place, making sure to stagger the joints. If you are using a circular saw, cut the bricks to size.
6. Once the bricks are in place, add a layer of sand to the brick area.
7. Water thoroughly. 8. Place the grass sod on top of the sand, making sure to keep it even with the bricks or stones on all sides. You can use edging stones or bricks on the edge of your masonry surface to create a more finished look.
9. Add rubber mulch or playground bark mulch to the area.
10. Finally, add a border of bricks or stones around the perimeter of your dog zone.